Osama bin Laden is back, opening American eyes to the innumerable ills of their society.
A 21-year-old letter from the former al-Qaeda chief recently went viral on TikTok, prompting many of its denizens — primarily Gen Z’s and not a few Millennials — to “see the light.” A few reactions to reading bin Laden’s so-called “Letter to Americans” (2002) follow:
- “It’s wild and everyone should read it. If you haven’t read it yet, read it. However, be forewarned that this has left me disillusioned and I feel the same exact way I felt when I was deconstructing Christianity.”
- “I will never look at life the same again; I will never look at this country the same.”
- “I feel like I’m going through an existential crisis right now.”
- “I guarantee you it’s going to blow your mind.”
- “[The letter] is actually so mind-fuc*ing to me, that terrorism has been sold as this [false] idea to the American people.
What revelations, pray tell, did Mr. Laden make in this “mind-blowing” letter? Originally titled “Why We Are Fighting You,” Osama listed all of the (“official”) reasons that prompted al-Qaeda to strike the U.S.